Monday, June 1 — Friday, June 19
All Lane locations
Let your creative side run free in 55 words or less. Contest rules and entry forms are available at any Lane Library or at www.laneteenzone.org. The winner will be announced on Tuesday, June 30. Contact your Lane Library for details.
1. Entry must be fiction, not poetry or an essay
2. Entry must be 55 words or less
3. There will be 1 winner from each branch
4. The story should contain a setting, character or characters, conflict, resolution
5. Limit 5 entries
6. Each individual entry should be accompanied by an entry form. entry-form PDF version is available here.
Word definition rules:
1. If it is in the dictionary (or in common usage) it is a word.
2. A hyphenated word does not count as a single word unless it cannot stand as a single word when the hypen is removed. The word “re-entry” is a single word, the word “tea-stained” is not.
3. A word contraction is a single word.
4. Initials count as words, since they are abbreviations. Acronyms such as NASA, count as one word.
5. Numbers count as words… 4296 is a single word, “four thousand, two hundred and ninety-six” is seven words.
6. Punctuation does not alter word count.
7. The title does not count towards the word count, but should be limited to 7 words.